What’s For Lunch: Lamb & Lentil Whole Wheat Pitas
My girl Jessie loves to cook! And I have to admit she is a great chef and I am so grateful she shares her recipes with me! She always makes sure I have a good meal in my stomach! I have no clue what I would do without her!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded and chopped carrots
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 32 ounces lean ground lamb
- 24 oz dried brown lentils
- 4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cup water, divided
- 2 large cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaf
- 6 (6-inch) whole-wheat pitas, cut in half
- plain 0% or 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 large thinly sliced english cucumber
- Chopped fresh mint (optional)
- fresh diced tomatoes
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, salt, pepper, and lamb; cook 10 minutes or until lamb is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally to crumble lamb.
2. Add lentils, cumin, and thyme; stir until seasonings become fragrant.
3. Add 2 cups water, tomatoes, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 15 minutes. Stir lentil mixture; add remaining 1 cup water. Cover and cook 30 minutes or until lentils are tender and mixture is thick (add additional water as needed). Discard bay leaf.
4. Fill each pita half with 3/4 cup lentil mixture. Spoon 1 tablespoon yogurt into each pita half; top with cucumber. Sprinkle with mint and fresh diced tomato.